Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games #3 - Mockingjay

I’ve been waiting what seems like ages to read this one, the conclusion to the pretty awesome Hunger Games trilogy (Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay). While it’s ostensibly a teen read, I’ve converted a few “adults” to reading them.

Way back when I read the first title, I was so excited. I’d compare reading it to the same level of excitement I got when reading CS Lewis’ Narnia books – adventure, good vs evil, a whole new world and every other good thing. If you haven’t read any of the series, it’s a must to read in order – and avert your eyes from the next bit.

The Hunger Games are set in a post-apocalyptic world of what was the US. There are 13 districts that support the Capitol by paying tributes – and once every few years, those tributes are two children from each district who compete against each other in the Hunger Games arena until death claims all but one. When Katniss Everdeen competes, taking the place of her younger sister Prim, she causes the game to change. President Snow and the Games are under pressure and the Rebels choose Katniss, the human Mockingjay, as their emblem of the Rising. But Snow has a weapon to use against Katniss – her district and her family, and most of all, Peeta.

Book three wraps away nearly everything in a good, clean package. Action and suspense vie with a little romance (only right as Katniss is getting older, but nothing graphic or un-needed) in a fast paced, smooth conclusion. I put down Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for this – and I definitely don’t regret it!

PS - the NZ cover isn't as pictured; I am still waiting on the supplier to send it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment