Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Polar Express by Chris van Allsburg

I am, quite frankly, a square. I like to know who, what, where – so much so that my loving family call me “Paulapedia”. Sometimes it’s not said with affection, but there you go. Sometimes my curiosity leads us on to greater things – and our December Reads are one of these things. And no, we’re not going on about the other things right now. That would be wrong on so many levels.

So we watched Tom Hank’s Polar Express a few years ago (I think we were sweltering in Bali at the time. Not so apt). As part of the special features there was an interview with Hanks and his wife Rita, talking about their family traditions. One was that the children chose a Christmas-themed story each night and the family sat down to read it together. Of course it's an idea I had to steal. And share. Lots of sharing!

This year we’re close to the 23 books we need (we read from the Gospel of Luke on Christmas Eve). To add to the fun, I wrap them all individually and they go into a basket. This year Bran chose the first title and yay! It’s the Polar Express. A perfect start to the month.

The basics of the story is a young boy is staying awake, trying to hear Santa’s arrival. Instead he hears the brakes of a steam train – the Polar Express. He jumps on board and heads to the North Pole and a major adventure.

If you haven’t read the book, you can get a preview at Google Books. Polar Express Google Books

No comments:

Post a Comment